How to Become a Christian
God made us for Himself, and our souls are restless until they find rest in Him.
Only God can fill the void in your life. The answer to your search is accepting
Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior of your life. To become a Christian, you need
to know these basic facts from the Bible.
1. God loves you. Because of God's love for all persons, He desires that
you have unbroken fellowship with Him. (John 3:16; Ephesians 2:4-5)
2. You are a sinner. All persons are sinners in that they disobey God. Sin is
choosing to go your own way and do your own thing as opposed to being
obedient to God. (Isaiah 53:6; Romans 3:10)
3. Sin separates you from God. Sin forms a barrier that prevents you from en-
tering into unbroken fellowship with God, who is holy. As an unholy sinner,
you can not have fellowship with God. You are headed for a Christless eternity
that the Bible calls hell. (Isaiah 59:2; Romans 3:23)
4. You can't save yourself. People often think that through their efforts they
can overcome the sin barrier between themselves and God. That is not true.
There is nothing you can do to restore the broken relationship with God. You
cannot earn God's salvation. (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Romans 4:4-5)
5. God sent His Son Jesus to remove the sin barrier. The death on the cross of
Jesus Christ, God's Son, removed the sin barrier between you and God. Jesus
died for your sins, taking your punishment on Himself. God did for you in
Jesus Christ what you could not do for yourself. (1 Peter 2:24; Romans 5:8;
2 Corinthians 5:21)
6. You can receive Jesus Christ through faith. Faith is trusting in what Jesus has
done for you rather than trusting your own efforts to restore fellowship with
God. Faith is complete reliance on Christ to put you in right relationship with
God, allowing Him to live His life through you. Faith also involves repen-
tance or genuine sorrow for sin and willingness to turn away from sin. (John
14:6; Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9-10)
7. Through prayer, you can trust in Jesus Christ. Admit to God that you are a
sinner. Express sorrow or repentance for your sinfulness. Ask Him to forgive
your sins. Invite Jesus into your life as Savior and Lord. Thank Him for
entering your life. Commit yourself to live for Him.
Accepting Christ is the beginning. After accepting Him, be obedient by following Christ in baptism and by uniting with a Bible believing church. When you do, you will find that life truly does have purpose and meaning. Talk with another Christian about your decision for Christ.